How can I protect my child from falls?

Falls are a common reason for trips to the Emergency Department (ED). If you have a second floor, keep those windows closed and locked or protect them with safety bars. If furniture can be climbed on, don’t put it near a window. In homes with young kids, safety gates should be at the top and bottom of every flight of stairs.

Never, ever leave a baby on a bed or changing table, even if you have pillows around the infant. Babies are excellent rollers. You wouldn’t believe how many babies are hurt in preventable accidents because well-meaning parents didn’t think their babies could roll so far.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Akamai Beach Safety Tips
Akamai Beach Safety Tips
Kamaaina are already pretty savvy when it comes to staying safe at the beach. Endless precautions are instilled in your subconscious—remain relaxed if...
When should my child wear a brace while playing sports?
Sunrise Children's HospitalSunrise Children's Hospital
Children should wear braces when playing sports only if there is a need for support or stability.
Is it legal for my child to have a pet turtle?
Since 1975, it has been illegal in the United States to sell or distribute turtles with shells that ...
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?