How can I be prepared if my child has an accident?

One out of every 2.4 children will be seen in an emergency department this year. That means your chances of making that trip are high, even if you’re the most super-careful parent. Kids are patients in about one-quarter of all emergency department visits. Think of it as a parenting rite of passage that includes a $200 copay.

Step one in being prepared for an emergency involves -- guess who? -- your pediatrician. If you haven’t already done so, ask how your doctor prefers to deal with emergencies so you’re prepared when the spaghetti hits the fan. The American College of Emergency Physicians says only one out of five families with kids discusses emergencies with their doctor -- which is probably a big reason why only one-third of parents say they feel prepared to handle a real emergency.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

The Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: 8 Tips to Bike Ride Safely
Biking is a great way to get around town and avoid traffic while getting a good workout. Thanks to biki, a bike sharing service, it’s easy for anyone ...
How should I store my pet food safely?
Dry pet food and treats may contain germs, such as Salmonella. Follow these storage tips to help pre...
How can I prevent injuries from falls?
Here are some tips on preventing injuries from falls: Use a soft landing surface on playgrounds (...
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?