How can I be prepared if my child has an accident?

One out of every 2.4 children will be seen in an emergency department this year. That means your chances of making that trip are high, even if you’re the most super-careful parent. Kids are patients in about one-quarter of all emergency department visits. Think of it as a parenting rite of passage that includes a $200 copay.

Step one in being prepared for an emergency involves -- guess who? -- your pediatrician. If you haven’t already done so, ask how your doctor prefers to deal with emergencies so you’re prepared when the spaghetti hits the fan. The American College of Emergency Physicians says only one out of five families with kids discusses emergencies with their doctor -- which is probably a big reason why only one-third of parents say they feel prepared to handle a real emergency.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Picture This! Selfie Dangers
Picture This! Selfie Dangers
LeBron James (basketball), Shawn White (snowboard) and Caroline Wozniacki (tennis) have one thing in common: They’re notorious selfie-takers. There’s ...
Backyard Pools: How to Keep Your Kids Safe
In June of 2019, country music star Granger Smith posted a devastating announcement on Instagram. Doctors had been unable to revive his three-year-old...
How to Stay Safe in Hawaii’s Next Landslide
Landslides are a common and destructive occurrence in all mountainous areas, but the heavy rains, loose rocks and occasional seismic activity make Haw...
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?