How do booster seats keep children safe in the car?

Booster seats are designed to lift children to better fit in an adult seat belt. The booster seat positions the shoulder belt away from the child’s head and neck where, if positioned incorrectly, it can cause severe head or spinal injury. The booster seat helps position the seat belt between the child’s neck and shoulder over the collarbone, helping to center it on the child’s chest. Booster seats also position the lap portion of the seat belt over the child’s hips and thighs, not over their stomach. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that children remain in booster seats until they are 8–10 years old, 80-100 lbs. and at least 4 feet 9 inches (57" tall).

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

How to Stay Safe in Hawaii’s Next Landslide
Landslides are a common and destructive occurrence in all mountainous areas, but the heavy rains, loose rocks and occasional seismic activity make Haw...
Why is it important for parents to be knowledgeable about equine safety?
Jeanne Morrison, PhDJeanne Morrison, PhD
Education about equine safety must be given to adults.  Parents usually are aware of the apparent ri...
Why is it important to help workers adjust to working in hot environments?
If you have a business where your employees work in a hot environment, make sure your workers drink ...
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?