How do booster seats keep children safe in the car?

Booster seats are designed to lift children to better fit in an adult seat belt. The booster seat positions the shoulder belt away from the child’s head and neck where, if positioned incorrectly, it can cause severe head or spinal injury. The booster seat helps position the seat belt between the child’s neck and shoulder over the collarbone, helping to center it on the child’s chest. Booster seats also position the lap portion of the seat belt over the child’s hips and thighs, not over their stomach. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that children remain in booster seats until they are 8–10 years old, 80-100 lbs. and at least 4 feet 9 inches (57" tall).

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Backyard Pools: How to Keep Your Kids Safe
In June of 2019, country music star Granger Smith posted a devastating announcement on Instagram. Doctors had been unable to revive his three-year-old...
Ask the Experts: Grains and Gun Safety
Ask the Experts: Grains and Gun Safety
Q: I love rice but I am afraid it’s not so good for me—kind of the white bread of grains, my wife tells me. What’s the real story? —George G., Monroe,...
How to Stay Safe in Hawaii’s Next Landslide
Landslides are a common and destructive occurrence in all mountainous areas, but the heavy rains, loose rocks and occasional seismic activity make Haw...
Picture This! Selfie Dangers
Picture This! Selfie Dangers
LeBron James (basketball), Shawn White (snowboard) and Caroline Wozniacki (tennis) have one thing in common: They’re notorious selfie-takers. There’s ...