How can I avoid exposing my child to arsenic in rice?

It is recommended that you avoid offering rice and rice products as a staple to kids under age five. Other countries have made similar recommendations, including the UK Food Standards Agency which advises that infants and young children should not consume rice milk as a substitute for cow’s milk, breast milk, or infant formula. Although we have more to learn about arsenic’s effect on our health when it's in the food supply, why take a risk on the health of your child, especially since side effects may not be apparent for years?
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Taking a Shot at a Safer World
Taking a Shot at a Safer World
Eleven U.S. soldiers were killed in Afghanistan in 2017. According to the CDC, during that same time, 39,773 people were killed by guns (homicides and...
How can my child safely interact with animals?
Children younger than 5 years old should be supervised while interacting with animals. Teach childre...
How can I protect my child from being poisoned?
Here are some tips for preventing poisoning: Keep medicines away from children and teens. Keep c...
How can I use fireworks safely?
Dr. Leigh Vinocur, MDDr. Leigh Vinocur, MD
The Consumer Product Safety Commission estimates that over two-thirds of injuries from fireworks occ...