How can I get my child to wear a bike helmet?

Your child is more likely to wear a helmet if he likes the way it looks, so let him help pick one out. Head to the bike store and you’ll find printed covers in a wide range of patterns that slip over the outside of helmets. I’ve even seen some that look like shark's fins and others that have dinosaur scales. My husband bought a multipurpose sports helmet and he wears it whenever he’s out bicycling, rollerblading, ice skating, or skiing with our kids.

Of course, your child is much more likely to wear a helmet if you do, too. The stats prove it. One study found that 67 percent of children wore helmets when adult riders with them also were helmeted. But only 50 percent of kids wore helmets when they were with adults who weren’t wearing them. Unfortunately, parents are not wearing helmets more than 60 percent of the time.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

What You Need to Know About Dry Drowning
You know how right after you jog or do free weights, you feel fine, but the next day your muscles are tender and sore? This phenomenon was first descr...
Is it legal for my child to have a pet turtle?
Since 1975, it has been illegal in the United States to sell or distribute turtles with shells that ...
How does milk get contaminated?
Milk contamination can occur in many different ways. Some ways include: Cow feces coming into dir...
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?