How can I get my child to wear a bike helmet?

Your child is more likely to wear a helmet if he likes the way it looks, so let him help pick one out. Head to the bike store and you’ll find printed covers in a wide range of patterns that slip over the outside of helmets. I’ve even seen some that look like shark's fins and others that have dinosaur scales. My husband bought a multipurpose sports helmet and he wears it whenever he’s out bicycling, rollerblading, ice skating, or skiing with our kids.

Of course, your child is much more likely to wear a helmet if you do, too. The stats prove it. One study found that 67 percent of children wore helmets when adult riders with them also were helmeted. But only 50 percent of kids wore helmets when they were with adults who weren’t wearing them. Unfortunately, parents are not wearing helmets more than 60 percent of the time.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Taking a Shot at a Safer World
Taking a Shot at a Safer World
Eleven U.S. soldiers were killed in Afghanistan in 2017. According to the CDC, during that same time, 39,773 people were killed by guns (homicides and...
Hawaii’s Feral Cats Could Harm Your Health
It’s hard to go anywhere in Hawaii without running into at least one free-roaming cat. These include feral cats, pets allowed to roam, and lost and ab...
Backyard Pools: How to Keep Your Kids Safe
In June of 2019, country music star Granger Smith posted a devastating announcement on Instagram. Doctors had been unable to revive his three-year-old...
Picture This! Selfie Dangers
Picture This! Selfie Dangers
LeBron James (basketball), Shawn White (snowboard) and Caroline Wozniacki (tennis) have one thing in common: They’re notorious selfie-takers. There’s ...