How do I get to my food if I'm on a bike and don't want to get off?

Recreational riders will stop to snack, but if you are riding for time or racing you don’t want to get off your bike. Eating while on the bike takes some practice and concentration. A mouthful of food can affect the rhythm of your breathing and can easily be aspirated into the windpipe. Keep the following tips in mind to avoid unnecessary risks: 1. Slow down; 2. Increase your concentration on the road, anticipating upcoming obstacles or hazards; 3. In a pace line, eat at the end, not in the middle or while pulling; 4. On hilly terrain, eat after you crest the hill, not while climbing; Keep your food in your outside back pocket of your jersey (that’s why these are called “back pockets foods”); 5. Open the wrappers before the ride, or cut the bars into bite-size pieces and transfer them to a baggie; 6. If you are using baggies, don’t zip the seal. Just fold it over when you put it in an outer pocket. Then you can pull it out with one hand, work a piece of bar to the opening and remove it with your teeth; 7. Drink from your down tube bottle until it’s empty and then switch with your full seat tube bottle.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

What to Do About Smoke-Filled Skies
What to Do About Smoke-Filled Skies
Folks from the West and Southwest to the Midwest and beyond are dealing with eye irritation, breathing difficulty and asthma from rampant wildfires th...
What steps can I take to prevent accidents?
Fate is fate. But that doesn't mean you should accept any accident as karma's way of paying you back...
Is it okay to flush medications down the toilet?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) website maintains a list of some of the medications ...
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?