How are occupational hazards related to environmental hazards?

Occupational health and environmental health are considered to be separate fields of study and different government agencies deal with them. Yet, many of the poisons and problems are similar. We and our families may be exposed to the same toxic substances or conditions in the workplace, at home, in schools, and in our neighborhoods.

Workers, community members, and even local health professionals may not be aware of the particular chemicals being used in an area or of their harmful effects. In rural communities, for example, pesticides may affect farm workers as well as anyone who lives, works, and studies nearby. The connection to environmental conditions is strong in other occupations as well. Activists, researchers, and public health practitioners are now assessing the problems and developing responses. "Labor neighbor" coalitions and their alliances with environmental justice organizations can help us see the larger context of shared, continuous risks.

Our communities do not need to make dead-end "choices" between safe jobs and a healthy environment.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: A New Edition for a New Era

America's best-selling book on all aspects of women's health With more than four million copies sold, "Our Bodies, Ourselves" is "the" classic resource that women of all ages can turn to for...

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

How to Stay Safe in Hawaii’s Next Landslide
Landslides are a common and destructive occurrence in all mountainous areas, but the heavy rains, loose rocks and occasional seismic activity make Haw...
What should I do if I get caught in a riptide?
A riptide (rip current) is a narrow, powerful current of water that runs perpendicular to the shore,...
Who certifies equine safety helmets?
Jeanne Morrison, PhDJeanne Morrison, PhD
The Safety Equipment Institute (SEI) is the coordinator and administrator for helmet certification. ...
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?