How are occupational hazards related to environmental hazards?

Occupational health and environmental health are considered to be separate fields of study and different government agencies deal with them. Yet, many of the poisons and problems are similar. We and our families may be exposed to the same toxic substances or conditions in the workplace, at home, in schools, and in our neighborhoods.

Workers, community members, and even local health professionals may not be aware of the particular chemicals being used in an area or of their harmful effects. In rural communities, for example, pesticides may affect farm workers as well as anyone who lives, works, and studies nearby. The connection to environmental conditions is strong in other occupations as well. Activists, researchers, and public health practitioners are now assessing the problems and developing responses. "Labor neighbor" coalitions and their alliances with environmental justice organizations can help us see the larger context of shared, continuous risks.

Our communities do not need to make dead-end "choices" between safe jobs and a healthy environment.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: A New Edition for a New Era

America's best-selling book on all aspects of women's health With more than four million copies sold, "Our Bodies, Ourselves" is "the" classic resource that women of all ages can turn to for...

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Why Texting and Driving Is So Dangerous
Why Texting and Driving Is So Dangerous
In Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein, the good doctor’s monster was brought to life by high voltage electric shocks that jumpstarted the creature’s organs a...
What steps can I take to prevent accidents?
Fate is fate. But that doesn't mean you should accept any accident as karma's way of paying you back...
How can I keep my child safe in the car?
A child is at a huge risk of severe injury or even death if she is not properly restrained with a ch...
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?