How are occupational hazards related to environmental hazards?

Occupational health and environmental health are considered to be separate fields of study and different government agencies deal with them. Yet, many of the poisons and problems are similar. We and our families may be exposed to the same toxic substances or conditions in the workplace, at home, in schools, and in our neighborhoods.

Workers, community members, and even local health professionals may not be aware of the particular chemicals being used in an area or of their harmful effects. In rural communities, for example, pesticides may affect farm workers as well as anyone who lives, works, and studies nearby. The connection to environmental conditions is strong in other occupations as well. Activists, researchers, and public health practitioners are now assessing the problems and developing responses. "Labor neighbor" coalitions and their alliances with environmental justice organizations can help us see the larger context of shared, continuous risks.

Our communities do not need to make dead-end "choices" between safe jobs and a healthy environment.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: A New Edition for a New Era

America's best-selling book on all aspects of women's health With more than four million copies sold, "Our Bodies, Ourselves" is "the" classic resource that women of all ages can turn to for...

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Picture This! Selfie Dangers
Picture This! Selfie Dangers
LeBron James (basketball), Shawn White (snowboard) and Caroline Wozniacki (tennis) have one thing in common: They’re notorious selfie-takers. There’s ...
How can I make sure my newborn baby is safe when traveling in a car?
HCA VirginiaHCA Virginia
To travel safely in a car with your newborn baby, your baby will need a safety-approved rear-facing ...
How can schools encourage students to report threats of violence?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
75 percent of teens contemplating suicide, homicide or a school shooting tell their plans to a p...
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?