Does washing protective pad garments make them less effective?

Traditional protective pads that slide into pants have been shown to crack and shrink when put through washing machines. This cracking and shrinking causes the pad to have less coverage for the forces to be dissipated across the area, and their effectiveness decreases. Therefore, it is typically recommended to hand wash them lightly with a damp cloth.

New padding technology, such as the Hex Pad technology, does not have the same results when put through washing machines. This padding is made from a material that is machine washable and doesn’t crack or shrink like the traditional padding. With the newer Hex Pad technology, the padding stays like new after being machine washed and doesn’t lose coverage or effectiveness. (This answer provided for NATA by the Saint Louis University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

What You Need to Know About Dry Drowning
You know how right after you jog or do free weights, you feel fine, but the next day your muscles are tender and sore? This phenomenon was first descr...
What are the most common winter injuries?
John Randolph Medical Center - HCA VirginiaJohn Randolph Medical Center - HCA Virginia
The most common winter injuries, like falls and back strains, are related to snow and ice.
How can I prevent pain while using a computer?
Working at a computer all day can cause eye, neck, and back problems. Find out how to avoid them as ...
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?