What devices can help older people get in and out of a vehicle?

When it comes to the turning motion needed to get in and out of a vehicle, there are several devices that can make life easier for older people, including the following:

• Something as simple as placing a plastic grocery bag on the car seat can provide the sliding surface an older person may need to get out of a car. 
  • A swivel seat cushion can help people get in and out of a vehicle as well as position them to reach the pedals and comfortably grip the steering wheel. 
  • A Handybar is a device inserted into the door latch of the vehicle to help people pull themselves up as they exit the vehicle. 
  • Leg lifters are low-cost items to help lift the legs in and out of the car if that movement is becoming a challenge.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

The Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: 8 Tips to Bike Ride Safely
Biking is a great way to get around town and avoid traffic while getting a good workout. Thanks to biki, a bike sharing service, it’s easy for anyone ...
Why is it important for parents to be knowledgeable about equine safety?
Jeanne Morrison, PhDJeanne Morrison, PhD
Education about equine safety must be given to adults.  Parents usually are aware of the apparent ri...
Could I suffer health risks from eating in my car?
Mother Nature NetworkMother Nature Network
Food, Inc. exposed the many health dangers of the fast-food drive-thru, but a recent study has ident...
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?