What are some dangerous websites for teenage girls to avoid?

Michele Borba
There are numerous websites that could be dangerous to teenage girls. A few are mentioned here:

The Bimbo Game
This provocative web site encourages young girls to give their virtual character dolls breast implants and use diet pills for crash diets.

Formspring
Best-selling author Rachel J. Simmons works internationally to address bullying and empower girls and loudly voices her concerns. She says “Formspring is the latest cyberscourage for teens...There is zero, and I mean zero, value in this website and no girl or boy should spend a minute on it. Formspring creates unnecessary emotional risks. It legitimizes cybercruelty and divorces kids from responsibility for their words.”

Pro-Ana and Pro-Mia Sites
The pro-Ana (as in pro-anorexia.. or referred to simply as “ana” or sometimes affectionately personified by anorexics as a girl named Ana) and pro-Mia sites (as in pro-bulimia) promote the lifestyle of disorder orders. They also provide girls with “thinspiration” by posting photos of bony-thin fashion models.

Disturbing research finds that kids as young as ten are learning weight loss or purging techniques from these web sites.

A study at Stanford University found that 96 percent of young eating disorder patients admit  they learn purging and weight-loss methods while logged on.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Sepsis and Electric Scooters: Growing Health Concerns
Q: I hear that sepsis is an ever-increasing problem in nursing homes. We have just recently put my mom into a care facility. Do we need to be concerne...
Why is it important for parents to be knowledgeable about equine safety?
Jeanne Morrison, PhDJeanne Morrison, PhD
Education about equine safety must be given to adults.  Parents usually are aware of the apparent ri...
Who certifies equine safety helmets?
The Safety Equipment Institute (SEI) is the coordinator and administrator for helmet certification. ...
How can I safely do sports while on an active vacation?
Whether your sport is ice climbing or reef diving, if you're planning an active vacation, depend on ...