When can my child safely ride in the front seat of a car?

The backseat is the safest place for a child of any age to ride, whether the vehicle is equipped with airbags or not. According to recent studies, the lives of thousands of children have been saved solely because they were sitting in the backseat.

The front seat is alluring, I know. Kids like to sit in the front of the car because they can see better out of the front window and they have easier access to you. But no matter the list of reasons or excuses they give, children (especially those under the age of 12) should always ride in the back seat. Statistics show that this can help avoid neck or spine injury in the event of a sudden stop or crash.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Backyard Pools: How to Keep Your Kids Safe
In June of 2019, country music star Granger Smith posted a devastating announcement on Instagram. Doctors had been unable to revive his three-year-old...
Ask the Experts: Grains and Gun Safety
Ask the Experts: Grains and Gun Safety
Q: I love rice but I am afraid it’s not so good for me—kind of the white bread of grains, my wife tells me. What’s the real story? —George G., Monroe,...
No, You Shouldn’t Surf in Hurricanes
No, You Shouldn’t Surf in Hurricanes
From the alii of Hawaii nei riding koa boards along the Waikiki break, to athletes competing in big-time events on Oahu’s North Shore, to everyday ent...
What Do I Do If I Encounter a Black Widow Spider?