What are some safety tips for my child in the kitchen?

Leigh Vinocur, MD
Emergency Medicine
Here are some key safety tips to prevent kitchen injuries:

– Never leave a child unattended in a kitchen (not even for a second) when cooking and never leave hot food or hot liquids within their reach.

– When cooking on the stove, cook on the back burners and turn pot handles inward out of reach of small children and push any mugs with hot liquid to the back of the counter.

– Designate a 3-foot area in front of the stove where kids are not allowed, use tape to help them distinguish this as a "danger zone." Consider placing a stove guard in front of your stove to prevent kids from reaching anything on the stove.

– Avoid drinking hot liquids while holding children on your lap.

– Always keep a fire extinguisher handy in your kitchen.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Hawaii’s Feral Cats Could Harm Your Health
It’s hard to go anywhere in Hawaii without running into at least one free-roaming cat. These include feral cats, pets allowed to roam, and lost and ab...
Picture This! Selfie Dangers
Picture This! Selfie Dangers
LeBron James (basketball), Shawn White (snowboard) and Caroline Wozniacki (tennis) have one thing in common: They’re notorious selfie-takers. There’s ...
Backyard Pools: How to Keep Your Kids Safe
In June of 2019, country music star Granger Smith posted a devastating announcement on Instagram. Doctors had been unable to revive his three-year-old...
What Do I Do If I Encounter a Black Widow Spider?