What are some safety tips for my child in the kitchen?

Leigh Vinocur, MD
Emergency Medicine
Here are some key safety tips to prevent kitchen injuries:

– Never leave a child unattended in a kitchen (not even for a second) when cooking and never leave hot food or hot liquids within their reach.

– When cooking on the stove, cook on the back burners and turn pot handles inward out of reach of small children and push any mugs with hot liquid to the back of the counter.

– Designate a 3-foot area in front of the stove where kids are not allowed, use tape to help them distinguish this as a "danger zone." Consider placing a stove guard in front of your stove to prevent kids from reaching anything on the stove.

– Avoid drinking hot liquids while holding children on your lap.

– Always keep a fire extinguisher handy in your kitchen.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Why Texting and Driving Is So Dangerous
Why Texting and Driving Is So Dangerous
In Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein, the good doctor’s monster was brought to life by high voltage electric shocks that jumpstarted the creature’s organs a...
Who is the ASTM in regards to equine safety helmets?
Jeanne Morrison, PhDJeanne Morrison, PhD
The American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) is a volunteer organization that sets the stan...
What type of protection will an ASTM/SEI helmet give me?
ASTM/SEI helmets provide protection to the skull and brain.  A term used when measuring the effectiv...
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?