Can children be exposed to arsenic?

Health experts are concerned about arsenic exposure in childhood -- even in utero. For example, a developing fetus may be exposed to arsenic in the pregnant mother’s environment (arsenic crosses the placenta). Research suggests that chronic childhood arsenic exposure may be associated with cognitive impairment (lower IQ scores) and an increased risk of illness early in life.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

8 Tips to Bike Ride Safely
8 Tips to Bike Ride Safely
Bike safety Taking a bike ride is a great way to exercise. This low-impact cardio activity is a fun way to reach your aerobic activity goals. Get read...
How can I stay safe and healthy if I'm traveling abroad for spring break?
If you are traveling outside the United States for spring break, it's a good idea to see your doctor...
How can I use fireworks safely?
TriStar StoneCrest Medical CenterTriStar StoneCrest Medical Center
Every year many children and adults suffer from injuries caused by fireworks, such as burns and eye ...
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?