How do I avoid cross contamination with food?

Ximena Jimenez
Cross contamination is how bacteria can be spread. When handling raw meat, poultry and eggs, keep these foods and their juices away from fruits, vegetables and other foods.
Deborah Beauvais
Use separate cutting boards and plates for produce and for meat, poultry, seafood, and eggs.

Placing ready-to-eat food on a surface that held raw meat, poultry, seafood, or eggs can spread bacteria and make you sick. But stopping cross-contamination is simple.

• Use one cutting board for fresh produce, and one for raw meat, poultry, or seafood.
  • Use separate plates and utensils for cooked and raw foods.
  • Before using them again, thoroughly wash plates, utensils, and cutting boards that held raw meat, poultry, seafood, or eggs.
  • Once a cutting board gets excessively worn or develops hard-to-clean grooves, consider replacing it.

Consider the possibility of cross contamination at the Grocery store. Make sure you aren’t contaminating foods in your grocery bag by:

Separating raw meat, poultry, seafood, and eggs from other foods in your shopping cart. At the checkout, place raw meat, poultry, and seafood in plastic bags to keep their juices from dripping on other foods. 

How you store your foods needs to be reviewed to avoid cross contamination. Keep meat, poultry, seafood, and eggs separate from all other foods in the fridge.

Bacteria can spread inside your fridge if the juices of raw meat, poultry, seafood, and eggs drip onto ready-to-eat foods. But stopping this contamination is simple…place raw meat, poultry, and seafood in containers or sealed plastic bags to prevent their juices from dripping or leaking onto other foods. If you’re not planning to use these foods within a few days, freeze them instead.

Keep eggs in their original carton and store them in the main compartment of the refrigerator—not in the door.

Visit www.homefoodsafety.com for more information and tips.

Keep juices from raw meat, poultry and seafood from coming into contact with produce and other foods. Pack raw meats and poultry separately in the grocery store. Use separate cutting boards and utensils for raw meat and do not use them for anything else until they have been washed in soap and hot water. Don't transfer cooked meat back to a plate that once held raw meat.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

The Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: 8 Tips to Bike Ride Safely
Biking is a great way to get around town and avoid traffic while getting a good workout. Thanks to biki, a bike sharing service, it’s easy for anyone ...
Who is the Safety Equipment Institute (SEI)?
Jeanne Morrison, PhDJeanne Morrison, PhD
The Safety Equipment Institute (SEI) is also an independent testing lab that tests and certifies pro...
What safety information should I look for when purchasing an equine helmet?
Certified helmets must show the date they were manufactured.  They should be replaced every five yea...
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?