What are the standards for equine safety helmets set forth by the ASTM?

Jeanne Morrison, PhD
Family Medicine

The following are the standards for equine safety helmets set by the  American Society for Testing and Materials:

1. Coverage of head requirements
  2. Helmet performance under impact with steel anvils
  3. Retention system securing the helmet on the wearers’ head
  4. Adequate information given to consumer by manufacturer
  5. Retention system withstanding under a strong jerking hold

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Expert Safety Tips on Playing Sports and Mowing the Lawn
Q: We bought a new house with a nice front and back yard. My husband is excited about cutting the lawn and is off buying a new push mower. I don’t wan...
How can I travel safely during winter?
Be cautious about travel during winter. Here are a few tips: Listen for radio or television repor...
How can I avoid bats while hiking or camping?
Some bats roost in tree cavities or foliage and might be spotted in areas where outdoor activities t...
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?