Why is it important to rest after running a race?

Recovering from a race is an important aspect of a training plan and yet is often overlooked or neglected by runners. Some runners are still feeling positive from a great race and are excited to get back to running, while other runners are looking for redemption for a less than ideal race. No matter the motivation to resume training, it is important to take time off from running and let your body rest and heal.

Running a race stresses your body. When you run, you use up metabolic fuel, enzymes and hormones. Running also causes damage to muscle fibers and connective tissues. So, your body needs time to rest and recover so you don't have more severe damage or injury. Rest immediately after you run a race of any length. Try light jogging to help your body cool down and flush lactic acid and other metabolic wastes from your tissues. This helps jumpstart the muscle repair process.

Continue Learning about Running

Go Fast, See Better
Go Fast, See Better
You could turn that daily walk into eye protection just by adding a few minutes of jogging each day. Research shows that a little vigorous exercise c...
How should I do the superman exercise?
Lie flat on your stomach with your arms extended over the head. Engage your core and actively pull y...
Why might I have pain in my back when I am running?
Back pain is not common during running and should not be experienced. Many athletes, runners especia...
Walking vs. Running: Which Burns More Calories?