Why might my leg hurt when I run downhill?

If your leg hurts when you run down hills, it could be shin splints. This is a common condition in individuals who run downhill for an extended period of time. There is point tenderness over a tendon located on the front of the lower leg. It is advisable to rest (or at least decrease running time and distance) and to avoid hills. Ice packs, stretching before and after running, a strengthening program, and oral anti-inflammatory medications help to reduce symptoms. (This answer provided for NATA by the Eastern University Athletic Training Education Program)

Continue Learning about Running

Run . . . for Your Life!
Run . . . for Your Life!
Starting a regular running habit could mean a longer -- and more comfortable -- life. After a 20-year study involving close to 1,000 middle-aged adul...
How can listening to my body help avoid injuries when running?
If you want to make running easier, listen to your body. If you feel any ongoing persistent pain, st...
What is the main goal of the recovery phase after running a race?
Chippenham Hospital - HCA VirginiaChippenham Hospital - HCA Virginia
The main goal of the recovery phase after running a race is to let your body recover. Allow your bod...
How to Heal Shin Splints
How to Heal Shin Splints