When should I start training for a marathon?

Quite simply - as soon as you can!  Marathon training is more than just the 3 months leading up to your goal race.  Before you even consider your marathon training program, you've got to build an adequate mileage base.  This means being comfortable running at least 3 miles at a time, with a weekly total of about 20-25 miles.  Once you've maintained this mileage for a while with no negative impact,  you can move on to a marathon specific training program.  
If you’re beginning runner you will need as long as 18-24 weeks (5-6 months) if you’re already reasonably active and fit and run on a regular basis it can be accomplished with as little as 12-18 weeks of training (3-5 months).  A marathon is a strenuous test of endurance and should be trained for accordingly. The more time you take to train and prepare for a marathon the more slowly you can progress and the less likely you are to develop injuries from over training. As a general rule of thumb, the further away from the marathon you start training the better?

Continue Learning about Running

Go Fast, See Better
Go Fast, See Better
You could turn that daily walk into eye protection just by adding a few minutes of jogging each day. Research shows that a little vigorous exercise c...
When would I use a running flat instead of spikes?
Running or racing flats should be worn if you have a biomechanically efficient stride (minimal prona...
What should I look for in a training program for running?
Chippenham Hospital - HCA VirginiaChippenham Hospital - HCA Virginia
There are many different types of training plans for running. Whether you're a beginner or an elite ...
Walking vs. Running: Which Burns More Calories?