What are the warning signs of a potential running injury?

Most running injuries occur due to chronic overuse and impact.  These types of injuries occur most commonly in the hips, knees, shins, ankles and feet in runners and can range anywhere from stress fractures in the bones to tendinitis.  Some red flags that you may have a running injury include the following:
- persistent pain despite rest, ice and anti-inflammatories 
- point pain upon a bone, suggesting a potential stress fracture
- inability to run at your normal pace due to pain or soreness
- swelling at the site of the pain
- pain in new areas due to compensating for the injury or changes in your stride when you run
- pain when you're at rest or just walking

If you have any of these signs, it is important to listen to your body and be seen by a doctor.  The longer you delay getting treatment for some of these injuries, the worse they can become and the longer it can take for you to heal properly. 
The warning signs of a potential running injury may develop slowly. Most running injuries commonly involving knees, the feet, the Achilles heel or the hamstring don’t appear suddenly. They usually provide slow-developing warning signs that should not be ignored.

Normally, these red flags include aches, soreness or a persistent pain in the affected area. It’s up to each runner to heed the signs and see a doctor before serious injury develops. If signs persist after proper rest or ice and heat treatments, a doctor may recommend physical therapy. The most important thing is to never let the pain or soreness get too far before seeking help. Most often, your body lets you know when it’s time to stop, rest and see a doctor.

Continue Learning about Running

Run . . . for Your Life!
Run . . . for Your Life!
Starting a regular running habit could mean a longer -- and more comfortable -- life. After a 20-year study involving close to 1,000 middle-aged adul...
Why do I get a snapping feeling on the outside of my knee when I run?
The most likely explanation is that the iliotibial band (IT band) is snapping across the outside par...
How much do I need to run to get healthy?
Thomas Plut, DOThomas Plut, DO
It may not matter how much you run in order to derive health benefits from running. A study of more ...
What Is the Most Common Injury in Runners?