What are the warning signs of a potential running injury?

Most running injuries occur due to chronic overuse and impact.  These types of injuries occur most commonly in the hips, knees, shins, ankles and feet in runners and can range anywhere from stress fractures in the bones to tendinitis.  Some red flags that you may have a running injury include the following:
- persistent pain despite rest, ice and anti-inflammatories 
- point pain upon a bone, suggesting a potential stress fracture
- inability to run at your normal pace due to pain or soreness
- swelling at the site of the pain
- pain in new areas due to compensating for the injury or changes in your stride when you run
- pain when you're at rest or just walking

If you have any of these signs, it is important to listen to your body and be seen by a doctor.  The longer you delay getting treatment for some of these injuries, the worse they can become and the longer it can take for you to heal properly. 

Continue Learning about Running

How Can Runners Prevent Injury?
How Can Runners Prevent Injury?
What Is the Most Common Injury in Runners?
Why Might I Have Pain In My Back When I Am Running?
How Do I Perform a 40 Yd Sprint?
How Do I Perform a 40 Yd Sprint?