What warm-up should I do for my tempo runs?

Running strides are an excellent warm up for tempo running. Strides teach your body to be more dynamic. Make sure to warm up with dynamic stretches like lunges to prepare the body for the more difficult effort to come. The following exercise is crucial for injury prevention. On a flat, preferably grassy, piece of land (a football field is appropriate), run for 100 meters at a pace 30-60 sec below your 5-kilometer race pace. Focus on your mechanics including foot strike, knee drive and arm swing. Do between 4-12 strides in a session. Recovery is an easy jog back to your starting point. There are no zones prescribed for this workout. As you move into your tempo run, remember that tempo runs are meant to be performed at the edge of your lactate threshold.

Continue Learning about Running

Go Fast, See Better
Go Fast, See Better
You could turn that daily walk into eye protection just by adding a few minutes of jogging each day. Research shows that a little vigorous exercise c...
What exercise can I do after running a race?
Chippenham Hospital - HCA VirginiaChippenham Hospital - HCA Virginia
After running a race, you want to take at least three days off from running. Yep, you read that corr...
How can I help my body recover from a marathon?
The toll a marathon takes on one’s body differs depending on the individual. There is a good dea...
What Is the Most Common Injury in Runners?