Are there any strength exercises to improve running form and posture?

Running form and posture can be improved a number of ways. The two main reasons for poor form and posture are biomechanical weaknesses in major body areas (feet, hamstrings, quadriceps, and core) and poor mechanics or coaching. Both problems can be corrected with strengthening exercises, drills, and proper coaching (running knowledge). The athlete with poor form must be tested for flexibility and strength issues in various body parts (feet, calves, hamstrings, quadriceps, hip flexors, groin, and core) to determine what is contributing to the biomechanical problems. Once the problem areas are determined, they can be treated. For example, if you determine the athlete has very tight hip flexors and hamstrings along with a weak core,  hurdle walks with a medicine ball overhead would help rectify the problem by strengthening the core and hip flexor regions while loosening the groin and hamstring areas. A yoga or pilates class can also help with specific flexibility and strength issues. Lunges with a medicine ball and twist can help strengthen the core and stretch the hamstrings. Once these biomechanical weaknesses are addressed, proper form and posture should be more easily attainable.

Continue Learning about Running

How to Heal Shin Splints
How to Heal Shin Splints
Why Might I Have Pain In My Back When I Am Running?
What Is the Most Common Injury in Runners?
How Do I Perform a 40 Yd Sprint?
How Do I Perform a 40 Yd Sprint?