What should I do if my running partner slows me down?

I never suggest finding a new running partner. You can be a great motivator to your friend by becoming more fit, which it seems like you are. You will both benefit by keeping up your routine.

A running regime requires different types of runs on different days.  If you have a training partner who is slower than you are, you can use the training time as an opportunity to focus on a long, slow endurance run where miles, not speed or time can take center stage.  You can also link up with a running club in your area where runners partner up by pace and let your friend gravitate toward the group that suits him best.  

You can either find a faster running partner, run by yourself, slow down to stay with your partner, or do all of the above. If you do all of the above, schedule runs with your slower partner that you know you will be using as slower paced, or rest days. Your self-paced runs can be your maintenance runs, and those with a faster partner can be your tough days.

Continue Learning about Running

Run . . . for Your Life!
Run . . . for Your Life!
Starting a regular running habit could mean a longer -- and more comfortable -- life. After a 20-year study involving close to 1,000 middle-aged adul...
How do I run in the pool if I am injured?
You can maintain and even improve your fitness by working your cardiovascular system with deep w...
How should I do rhythm bounding exercises?
Dr. Vonda Wright, MDDr. Vonda Wright, MD
Bounding is just what it sounds like. You spring up into the air with each step you take. It looks l...
How Can Runners Prevent Injury?
How Can Runners Prevent Injury?