What should I do if my running partner slows me down?

You can either find a faster running partner, run by yourself, slow down to stay with your partner, or do all of the above. If you do all of the above, schedule runs with your slower partner that you know you will be using as slower paced, or rest days. Your self-paced runs can be your maintenance runs, and those with a faster partner can be your tough days.

A running regime requires different types of runs on different days.  If you have a training partner who is slower than you are, you can use the training time as an opportunity to focus on a long, slow endurance run where miles, not speed or time can take center stage.  You can also link up with a running club in your area where runners partner up by pace and let your friend gravitate toward the group that suits him best.  

I never suggest finding a new running partner. You can be a great motivator to your friend by becoming more fit, which it seems like you are. You will both benefit by keeping up your routine.

Continue Learning about Running

Run . . . for Your Life!
Run . . . for Your Life!
Starting a regular running habit could mean a longer -- and more comfortable -- life. After a 20-year study involving close to 1,000 middle-aged adul...
How does the training change for sprinters prior to the competitive season?
After completing the winter training cycle (December-February) which began to get more intense a...
How much should I drink while running?
Don't forget to drink when you're out running. When you run, you sweat. If you're not adequately hyd...
How Do I Perform a 40 Yd Sprint?
How Do I Perform a 40 Yd Sprint?