What is the main goal of the recovery phase after running a race?

The main goal of the recovery phase after running a race is to let your body recover. Allow your body to fully rest and heal from your previous race. A marathon runner will need more time to recover, compared to a half-marathon runner, compared to a 10K runner. Also, enjoy your accomplishment. Bask in the glow of completing your race; you earned it! Remember, every runner’s body will respond differently following a race and therefore might need more or less time to fully recover. Listen to your body. If you don’t feel like running, don’t. Your body just ran 26.2 miles, 13.1 miles or 10K; it’s okay to allow a little extra time for a full recovery. Your body will thank you. Plus, it could save you a trip to the doctor.

Every race finish line is also the starting line for the racer's recovery. In the first hour following a race you should cool down by jogging or walking for at least 10 to 20 minutes. Next, stretch the lower body muscles. Then, focus on replenishing your body's nutrients and fluids. Water plus electrolytes are important to replace lost fluids. Carbohydrates are needed to restore a substance called glycogen that has been used up in muscles and liver tissues. Protein is needed to repair damage to muscle cells. Some sports drinks are specially formulated with fluid, carbs and protein just for recovery.

Continue Learning about Running

Run . . . for Your Life!
Run . . . for Your Life!
Starting a regular running habit could mean a longer -- and more comfortable -- life. After a 20-year study involving close to 1,000 middle-aged adul...
Why is it important to rest after running a race?
Running a race stresses your body. When you run, you use up metabolic fuel, enzymes and hormones. Ru...
How does the training change for sprinters prior to the competitive season?
After completing the winter training cycle (December-February) which began to get more intense a...
Why Might I Have Pain In My Back When I Am Running?