What kinds of fun runs can I do if I enjoy a challenge?

If you are a runner who likes a challenge, or is just looking for a fun way to exercise that’s great for the whole family, then check out obstacle races. These competitive hybrid events draw thousands of people from all over the country. Some obstacle races were created by elite military personnel who adapted their training techniques to a general audience. They’re challenging, but they’re fun and great for spectators, too. Here are five of the best:
  • Warrior Dash is a 5K mud run started in 2009 that’s become one of the most popular obstacle races in the world.
  • Spartan Race was developed by eight ultra-endurance athletes from the Royal Marines. You can race as an individual and/or with a team in three different levels, from the Spartan Sprint (3 miles) to the Ultra Spartan Beast (10-12 miles of difficult obstacles).
  • Tough Mudder was created by British Special Forces members bored with typical marathons. These team-oriented obstacle races are 10-12 miles long and, yes, you will get muddy. Tough Mudder races stress teamwork, meaning you don’t leave anybody behind, period.
  • Run For Your Lives is a 5K obstacle course that’s perfect if you’re a zombie fan. That’s because these races feature people dressed as zombies who chase runners through the course. You can choose to be either human or monster, but you do have to be 14 years or older.
  • Gladiator Rock’n Run is a 5K race featuring 17 obstacles of varied difficulty. Created by Dan “Nitro” Clark of American Gladiators fame, this event encourages colorful costumes and hosts a big party at the end of the race. 

Continue Learning about Running

Run . . . for Your Life!
Run . . . for Your Life!
Starting a regular running habit could mean a longer -- and more comfortable -- life. After a 20-year study involving close to 1,000 middle-aged adul...
Can cycling or running wear out my joints?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Your question is a good one. Excessive stress can damage a joint (or nearby structures) and joint da...
Besides running on the streets, how else can distance runners get better?
Other than running on the roads, distance runners can use a variety of ways to improve their spe...
How Do I Perform a 40 Yd Sprint?
How Do I Perform a 40 Yd Sprint?