What kinds of fun runs can I do if I enjoy a challenge?

If you are a runner who likes a challenge, or is just looking for a fun way to exercise that’s great for the whole family, then check out obstacle races. These competitive hybrid events draw thousands of people from all over the country. Some obstacle races were created by elite military personnel who adapted their training techniques to a general audience. They’re challenging, but they’re fun and great for spectators, too. Here are five of the best:
  • Warrior Dash is a 5K mud run started in 2009 that’s become one of the most popular obstacle races in the world.
  • Spartan Race was developed by eight ultra-endurance athletes from the Royal Marines. You can race as an individual and/or with a team in three different levels, from the Spartan Sprint (3 miles) to the Ultra Spartan Beast (10-12 miles of difficult obstacles).
  • Tough Mudder was created by British Special Forces members bored with typical marathons. These team-oriented obstacle races are 10-12 miles long and, yes, you will get muddy. Tough Mudder races stress teamwork, meaning you don’t leave anybody behind, period.
  • Run For Your Lives is a 5K obstacle course that’s perfect if you’re a zombie fan. That’s because these races feature people dressed as zombies who chase runners through the course. You can choose to be either human or monster, but you do have to be 14 years or older.
  • Gladiator Rock’n Run is a 5K race featuring 17 obstacles of varied difficulty. Created by Dan “Nitro” Clark of American Gladiators fame, this event encourages colorful costumes and hosts a big party at the end of the race. 

Continue Learning about Running

Why do my legs hurt after I run but not after I walk?
Ozgen DoganOzgen Dogan
Running is a high-level exercise that causes lactic acid to collect in the muscles and feel pain...
Every time I run the outside of my knee begins to hurt, why is this?
This pain is actually quite common in runners. What you're experiencing sounds like a condition call...
Is running on a treadmill the same as running on the road?
Andrea Ingram , NASM Elite TrainerAndrea Ingram , NASM Elite Trainer
There is no substitute for time on the road, but running on the treadmill can be a good alternative ...
Start Running Today with These 7 Tips
Start Running Today with These 7 TipsStart Running Today with These 7 TipsStart Running Today with These 7 TipsStart Running Today with These 7 Tips
Almost anyone can start a running routine. Use these helpful tips to get out the door and start jogging. Running is a great form of cardiovascular ex...