What should I eat after running a race?

Post-workout meals are important. The most beneficial types of foods to eat after running a race are those rich in protein. They will help with muscle recovery. Proteins from lean fish and chicken are good choices, as are protein shakes and bars. Your meal should also include plenty of water for hydration, especially after a race.

Most likely you will not feel hungry immediately after running a race. However, it's a good idea to grab some type of fruit, energy bar or a bagel along with fluids to take with you as you go to celebrate with your friends. You will get hungry later.

Eating carbs and protein during the recovery period has been shown to help assist with the repair of muscle damage, while the fruits can give a boost of vitamin C and antioxidants to assist your immune system.

Continue Learning about Running

Run . . . for Your Life!
Run . . . for Your Life!
Starting a regular running habit could mean a longer -- and more comfortable -- life. After a 20-year study involving close to 1,000 middle-aged adul...
What is the most common injury in runners?
Fred C. Redfern, MDFred C. Redfern, MD
Common injuries in runners are shin splints, stress fractures, plantar fasciitis and Achilles tendon...
How can distance runners improve fitness in the weight room?
Distance runners can improve their fitness in the weight room by incorporating circuit training ...
How Do I Perform a 40 Yd Sprint?
How Do I Perform a 40 Yd Sprint?