What stretch can I do before I run that reduces my chance of being hurt?

Although there are a number of stretches you can do before you run, that is only part of what you should do as a warm-up before running to decrease your risk of injury. You can follow this sample warm-up to ensure you're prepared to take on the stresses of running. First, foam roll you calves, the outside of your thigh, and the inside of your thigh. Foam rolling is a form of self-massage that will help relax the muscles that will be used during running. When foam rolling, hold any tender spots for 30 seconds. Second, statically stretch your calves, the front of your hip, and the inside of your thighs. Hold each stretch for 30 seconds. These stretches will help lengthen some of the common muscles used in running and assist in taking stress off the joints. Third, perform some basic dynamic movements to help develop proper control of your foot, ankle, knee, and hips before your run. Perform 1 set of 10 repetitions of body weight squats, front lunges, and single-leg hops with stabilization. These exercises will mimic some of the movement and stresses seen in running, allowing you to be more prepared to control these stresses once you begin your run.

Continue Learning about Running

Run . . . for Your Life!
Run . . . for Your Life!
Starting a regular running habit could mean a longer -- and more comfortable -- life. After a 20-year study involving close to 1,000 middle-aged adul...
Why do I get a snapping feeling on the outside of my knee when I run?
The most likely explanation is that the iliotibial band (IT band) is snapping across the outside par...
What can a distance runner do outside the weight room to increase fitness?
Margaret Scherrer Margaret Scherrer
As a former distance runner myself, I can tell you there is plenty to do outside the weight room to ...
Why Might I Have Pain In My Back When I Am Running?