Should I vary my running pace?

Yes; running one long pace is not the optimal way to get faster running. Instead, integrate a variety of speeds in your training to push yourself to run faster. A coach once said- to run faster you have to run faster. There is sound logic in that simplistic statement. In order to push the pace in a five kilometer race for example, break down the distance into five, one kilometer intervals and run the intervals at the goal race pace. It is better to practice increased pacing interspersed with recovery times than to just run long and slow all the time.

Even if the goal pace is not yet sustainable over the entire distance, by running faster, at shorter distances, and repeating the effort throughout the workout, the body will respond to the increased demands and recover stronger and better able to perform by running faster and longer in the next training or racing session. While every run should not be an interval workout, including one or two fast days in a training plan will lead to faster race day performances. No more than 30% of the total weekly volume should be interval work, and make sure that there is adequate rest and recovery between interval days to optimize recovery and prevent injury.

Continue Learning about Running