What can a distance runner do outside the weight room to increase fitness?

Other than doing weight training circuits in the weight room, distance runners can do core circuits to improve their core stability, posture, and strength.  Medicine ball training is a great way to improve total-body fitness, strength, mobility, and power by strengthening the muscles, tendons, and ligaments throughout the body. Hurdle mobility (walking over and under hurdles) is a great way to improve range of motion, balance, and stability, while strengthening the muscles in the lower back, legs, and hips. General strength exercises, such as push-ups, lunges, and burpies also help improve total-body fitness, strength, and flexibility.

Continue Learning about Running

Is running in place as effective as running on a treadmill?
No, while running in place is better than nothing at all and is a good warm up technique it does not...
Why is proper nutrition for runners so important?
Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)
To avoid any major issues with your running program, exercise professionals stress the importance of...
What stretch can I do before I run that reduces my chance of being hurt?
Although there are a number of stretches you can do before you run, that is only part of what you sh...
How can listening to my body help avoid injuries when running?
If you want to make running easier, listen to your body. If you feel any ongoing persistent pain, st...