If my knee swells after I run should I ice it?

Yes, you should apply ice to it for 20 minutes. More importantly, seek the advice of a medical professional to determine why your knee is swelling so you do not incurr a more serious injury.

Aaron Nelson
Sports Medicine
Yes. You should definitely ice your knee any time it swells after activity. This will help reduce the swelling and the pressure around the joint. You can ice several times for 20 minutes at a time, making sure to wait 1 hour between your icing sessions. If the swelling is occurs after each time you run or if it becomes chronic, see a physician immediately to make sure you don't have any joint issues such as meniscus(cartilage), ligaments, tendons or loose bodies that may need further attention.

Continue Learning about Running

Go Fast, See Better
Go Fast, See Better
You could turn that daily walk into eye protection just by adding a few minutes of jogging each day. Research shows that a little vigorous exercise c...
How can listening to my body help avoid injuries when running?
If you want to make running easier, listen to your body. If you feel any ongoing persistent pain, st...
How should I taper before running a race?
Chippenham Hospital - HCA VirginiaChippenham Hospital - HCA Virginia
Tapering is individualized like running programs, shoes and style. However, there are general rules ...
Walking vs. Running: Which Burns More Calories?