How can I stay warm when running in extremely cold weather?

To keep warm during an extremely cold weather run, you should pay special attention to your arms, legs and head. Always wear a breathable hat. Most heat is lost through the top of your head. Wear gloves to keep your hands warm. If you are particularly sensitive to the cold, consider placing hand warmers in your gloves to protect against frostbite.

Continue Learning about Running

Run . . . for Your Life!
Run . . . for Your Life!
Starting a regular running habit could mean a longer -- and more comfortable -- life. After a 20-year study involving close to 1,000 middle-aged adul...
How can listening to my body help avoid injuries when running?
If you want to make running easier, listen to your body. If you feel any ongoing persistent pain, st...
What can a distance runner do outside the weight room to increase fitness?
Margaret Scherrer Margaret Scherrer
As a former distance runner myself, I can tell you there is plenty to do outside the weight room to ...
Why Might I Have Pain In My Back When I Am Running?