How should I taper before running a race?

Tapering is individualized like running programs, shoes and style. However, there are general rules you can follow to find a good tapering plan for you.

The overall length of your taper is based on the distance of your race. This is pretty simple. Research supports the below as the optimal number of days to taper for specific races.

• Marathon: 19-22 days
  • 15k to 30k: 11-14 days
  • 5k to 10k: 7-10 days

Cut back on mileage, NOT intensity or frequency. Reference the below chart for percent of weekly mileage to decrease:

• Marathon: 20 percent at three weeks out, 40 percent at two weeks out and 60 percent at one week out
  • 15k to 30k: None at three weeks out, 30 percent at two weeks out and 50 percent at one week out
  • 5k to 1k: None at three weeks out, 20 percent at two weeks out and 50 percent at one week out

The overall goal of tapering is to allow your body to rest and heal from your training while not losing the cardiovascular gains you have worked so hard to obtain. It is also important to mentally feel like you are not getting “out of shape” while cutting back from running before your big race.

By maintaining the amount of times you run (frequency) and running at your target race pace (intensity), but cutting down on the overall mileage, you should mentally feel like you have maintained your current fitness level as your body rests. In other words, you are gaining speed on your race day from running less. It simply does not get better than that.

Continue Learning about Running

Go Fast, See Better
Go Fast, See Better
You could turn that daily walk into eye protection just by adding a few minutes of jogging each day. Research shows that a little vigorous exercise c...
How can I choose a training plan to run 10K?
Chippenham Hospital - HCA VirginiaChippenham Hospital - HCA Virginia
There are many different types of training plans for running a 10K; make sure to choose one that fit...
Why might my leg hurt when I run downhill?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
If your leg hurts when you run down hills, it could be shin splints. This is a common condition ...
How Can Runners Prevent Injury?
How Can Runners Prevent Injury?