How can I prepare to run in cold weather?

The cold shouldn’t be a major problem for runners, but you need to be aware of the extra challenge these conditions present. Runners should dress in layers, including a hat that can be shed as body temperatures rise while running. A base layer of wicking material is also important to draw moisture away from the body because wet clothes will create chills.

In the low temperature range, runners lose moisture not only by sweating, but also through the water vapor expelled when exhaling in the cold, dry air. It is critically important to maintain good hydration because of this compounding loss of fluid. Depending on the distance, hydration should consist of mostly water before and in the beginning stages of the run, and then moving to sports drinks that will provide replenishment of electrolytes as well.

Continue Learning about Running

Go Fast, See Better
Go Fast, See Better
You could turn that daily walk into eye protection just by adding a few minutes of jogging each day. Research shows that a little vigorous exercise c...
My knees hurt a lot after jogging, am I doing something wrong?
Brian YeeBrian Yee
It is common for joggers to have knee pain. It is usually due to a combination of improper strength ...
How much should I drink while running?
Don't forget to drink when you're out running. When you run, you sweat. If you're not adequately hyd...
How Do I Perform a 40 Yd Sprint?
How Do I Perform a 40 Yd Sprint?