How much should I drink while running?

Don't forget to drink when you're out running. When you run, you sweat. If you're not adequately hydrated, your heart has to work harder to power your muscles; as a result, your running performance suffers. But worse, if you don't replace lost fluids, you risk dehydration, which is serious business.

Every hour of exercise increases your fluid debt. Dehydration can lead to swelling of the brain and even seizures, kidney failure and loss of consciousness.

Although opinions vary, a popular belief is to let your thirst be your guide. If you drink when you're thirsty, you'll give your body adequate hydration. Of course, if you're running in extreme heat or running for 90 minutes or longer, you need to be extra vigilant. The American College of Sports Medicine suggests drinking three to eight fluid ounces of water for every 15 to 20 minutes of exercise for less than 60 minutes, or to check your hydration status by weighing yourself before and after exercise and replenishing any weight loss (which is usually fluid loss) with water.

Continue Learning about Running

Why might my leg hurt when I run downhill?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
If your leg hurts when you run down hills, it could be shin splints. This is a common condition ...
Why do my legs hurt after I run but not after I walk?
Ozgen DoganOzgen Dogan
Running is a high-level exercise that causes lactic acid to collect in the muscles and feel pain...
Why is proper nutrition for runners so important?
Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)
To avoid any major issues with your running program, exercise professionals stress the importance of...
Why is running bad for singers?
There is no scientific evidence to suggest that running is in any way harmful to singer’s voice or l...