How many times per week do I train for a half marathon?

The number of days required for training for a half marathon will depend on your goals and fitness level. If you are just starting off you might need to train every other day. As your fitness level improves, training six days a week is effective if done correctly. This means you need to vary the distance and intensity of each workout. You also need to add some cross-training several times a week. A balanced week includes one day that is dedicated to long distance running. This is the day you can spend more time running, and each week you add miles until you reach about 10 miles. Another day can include shorter distances at a higher intensity, using intervals to increase your race pace and anaerobic threshold. The remaining days should be a mixture of race pace runs and low-intensity recovery days. Some of these low-intensity workouts should be done on low-impact cardio equipment, such as a bike or elliptical, to reduce the stress on the legs. If you have time, you can add weight training to several of these days or use some circuit training to get both the strength and cardiovascular benefits in one session.

Continue Learning about Running

Run . . . for Your Life!
Run . . . for Your Life!
Starting a regular running habit could mean a longer -- and more comfortable -- life. After a 20-year study involving close to 1,000 middle-aged adul...
What should I do if my running partner slows me down?
You can either find a faster running partner, run by yourself, slow down to stay with your partner, ...
What stretch can I do before I run that reduces my chance of being hurt?
Although there are a number of stretches you can do before you run, that is only part of what you sh...
Walking vs. Running: Which Burns More Calories?