How do I improve my current half marathon time?

Once you have completed your first half marathon the goal should be to try to improve your time. You don’t have to be training to win the race, just try to beat your personal best. One way to do this is to use some type of training feedback. This can be heart rate or pace. Heart rate can provide feedback on how you are training and can be used to check the heart rate recovery to help prevent overtraining by making sure you recover well between each run. Along with heart rate, you should monitor the time it takes you to complete a training run. The goal is to increase your pace several days a week by doing intervals. The intervals can be as easy as running ten to twenty percent above your normal pace. This type of training will help move up your anaerobic threshold so you don't fatigue as quickly. It will also help you work on your leg speed, improving your overall race pace. Perform this training a couple of times a week while working on distance the other days.

Continue Learning about Running

Run . . . for Your Life!
Run . . . for Your Life!
Starting a regular running habit could mean a longer -- and more comfortable -- life. After a 20-year study involving close to 1,000 middle-aged adul...
Why should I try to run without a watch?
Chippenham Hospital - HCA VirginiaChippenham Hospital - HCA Virginia
Try to run once a week without a watch, just to listen to your body. We become very focused on pace ...
What are the warning signs of a potential running injury?
Julie DuBois, NASM Elite Trainer, RDJulie DuBois, NASM Elite Trainer, RD
Most running injuries occur due to chronic overuse and impact.  These types of injuries occur most c...
How to Heal Shin Splints
How to Heal Shin Splints