How does the training change for sprinters prior to the competitive season?

After completing the winter training cycle (December-February) which began to get more intense and specific than the fall training cycle, the competitive season (March-May) takes the training to a new level. Tempo runs are still completed, but at an even faster pace with the same recovery. The volume of speed and speed endurance work is around one-third of that in the fall and the intensity is at 100%. There are typically competitions on Friday and Saturday, which means the athlete can only realistically train on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and lightly on Thursday. Weight lifting is still intense once a week and more dynamic on the other resistance training days, but it is still followed by plyometrics. The amount of volume on conditioning exercises, such as medicine ball exercises, multi throws, general strength circuits, and core circuits is two-thirds less than what it was in the fall (from 15 repetitions down to 5). The workouts are very intense, short, and specific, while trying to work on small details to help drop a tenth of a second in competition.

Continue Learning about Running

Why Might I Have Pain In My Back When I Am Running?
What Is the Most Common Injury in Runners?
How Do I Perform a 40 Yd Sprint?
How Do I Perform a 40 Yd Sprint?
How to Heal Shin Splints
How to Heal Shin Splints