How does the training change for sprinters prior to the competitive season?

After completing the winter training cycle (December-February) which began to get more intense and specific than the fall training cycle, the competitive season (March-May) takes the training to a new level. Tempo runs are still completed, but at an even faster pace with the same recovery. The volume of speed and speed endurance work is around one-third of that in the fall and the intensity is at 100%. There are typically competitions on Friday and Saturday, which means the athlete can only realistically train on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and lightly on Thursday. Weight lifting is still intense once a week and more dynamic on the other resistance training days, but it is still followed by plyometrics. The amount of volume on conditioning exercises, such as medicine ball exercises, multi throws, general strength circuits, and core circuits is two-thirds less than what it was in the fall (from 15 repetitions down to 5). The workouts are very intense, short, and specific, while trying to work on small details to help drop a tenth of a second in competition.

Continue Learning about Running

Go Fast, See Better
Go Fast, See Better
You could turn that daily walk into eye protection just by adding a few minutes of jogging each day. Research shows that a little vigorous exercise c...
How can I increase my distance in running?
Andrea Ingram , NASM Elite TrainerAndrea Ingram , NASM Elite Trainer
A good rule of thumb for increasing your running distance is to only do so by 10% of your total mile...
How can I stay warm when running in extremely cold weather?
To keep warm during an extremely cold weather run, you should pay special attention to your arms, le...
Why Might I Have Pain In My Back When I Am Running?