How do I run in the pool if I am injured?

You can maintain and even improve your fitness by working your cardiovascular system with deep water running. With the use of a heart rate monitor you can train your aerobic energy system just as you would on dry land. How to do it: You can either use a deep water jogger belt, or you can go without. In the deep end of the pool, run as you would on land. Be mindful not to just tread water (that’s cheating and you will have a harder time hitting your heart rate zones). Instead mimic your run gate, flex your ankles, knees and hips as you working as they would while running. Your deep water run gait should look like your running stride on land- complete with arm swing and all. Depending on the space you have available (watch for divers here) you can either move across the pool or you can stay in one spot (or jog in small circles). The run is an aerobic workout, you should be breathing hard (and even sweating). For the tempo intensities- speed up your gait, just as you would on a track or on the treadmill when it came time for the tempo portion of your workout. Using a heart rate monitor will help orient you to maintaining that tempo intensity. If you know your tempo run zone, use it. If not, to determine your tempo zone you need to do a little math. Your tempo zone should be 96% of your average heart rate for a 5k race (this is assuming your 5k race average heart rate is approximately your lactate threshold, depending on your level of fitness, this might vary slightly). Your running tempo zone should be within 5 beats of the zone you are shooting for in the water. Deep water jogging is not an easy way out of a workout, instead it should be a tempo intensity workout in a more interesting and unique venue.

Continue Learning about Running

How should I do the superman exercise?
Dr. Vonda Wright, MDDr. Vonda Wright, MD
Here's how to do the superman exercise: 1. While laying flat on the floor, brace your trunk. 2. ...
Why should I keep a journal of my training runs?
Christopher W. Hodgkins, MDChristopher W. Hodgkins, MD
A journal of your training run, including detailed workout logs and periodic goals, can keep you fro...
When would I use a running flat instead of spikes?
Running or racing flats should be worn if you have a biomechanically efficient stride (minimal prona...
How can I reduce soreness in my running routine?
Dr. Mike Clark, DPTDr. Mike Clark, DPT
If your ankles are getting sore, please back off your distance by 25%. Also please make sure that yo...