How do I improve my current marathon time?

Once you have completed your first marathon the goal should be to try to improve your time.  You don’t have to be training to win the race, just try to beat your personal best.  One way to do this is to use some type of training feedback.  This can be heart rate or pace.  Heart rate can provide feedback on how you are training and can be used to check the heart rate recovery to help prevent overtraining by making sure you recover well between each run.  Along with heart rate, you should monitor the time it takes you to complete a training run.  The goal is to increase your pace several days a week by doing intervals.  The intervals can be as easy as running ten to twenty percent above your normal pace.  This type of training will help move up your anaerobic threshold so you don't fatigue as quickly.  It will also help you work on your leg speed, improving your overall race pace.  Perform this training a couple of times a week while working on distance the other days.

Continue Learning about Running

How can listening to my body help avoid injuries when running?
If you want to make running easier, listen to your body. If you feel any ongoing persistent pain, st...
I noticed when I run my knee hurt on the inside portion, what is this?
Karen L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RNKaren L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RN
This pain on the inside portion of your knee may be coming from another part of your knee. Sometimes...
What kinds of fun runs can I do if I enjoy a challenge?
Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)
If you are a runner who likes a challenge, or is just looking for a fun way to exercise that’s great...
Should I run indoors or outdoors?
Both indoor and outdoor running can be beneficial. Running indoors will most likely have less obstac...