Can I predict how fast I will finish a marathon?

It is possible to predict a projected marathon time. There is a quick an easy way to do it, and it is not only an accurate estimation, it is a great workout as well. Bart Yasso, former editor of Runner’s World, came up with a very cool and very precise way of predicting marathon finish times. Jack Daniels also has sound calculations for marathon finish time, but the Yasso 800’s are the simplest way to predict (and improve) marathon times. Begin with a proper warm up of 10 to 15 minutes of light jogging and stretching. The workout should be performed on a 400 meter track if possible. Following the warm up the athlete should run four to eight repeats of 800 meter efforts as fast as they can with a three to five minute walking recovery between efforts. The average total time of the 800 meter effort correlates to the predicted marathon time, amazingly enough! So if an athlete can run an 800 in three minutes and forty seconds, their predicted marathon time is 3 hours and forty minutes. How cool is that? A simple way to predict marathon time, to work on marathon pacing, and to get a solid interval workout in, all at the same time. This little tactic, coined “Yasso 800s” continues to amaze runners with its accuracy time and time again.

Continue Learning about Running

Go Fast, See Better
Go Fast, See Better
You could turn that daily walk into eye protection just by adding a few minutes of jogging each day. Research shows that a little vigorous exercise c...
Why is proper nutrition for runners so important?
Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)
To avoid any major issues with your running program, exercise professionals stress the importance of...
How can I reduce soreness in my running routine?
Dr. Mike Clark, DPTDr. Mike Clark, DPT
If your ankles are getting sore, please back off your distance by 25%. Also please make sure that yo...
How Do I Perform a 40 Yd Sprint?
How Do I Perform a 40 Yd Sprint?