Besides running on the streets, how else can distance runners get better?

Other than running on the roads, distance runners can use a variety of ways to improve their speed and endurance, such as hill repeats and intervals on the track. Hill repeats force the runner to concentrate on their form, stride length, and foot placement to ensure proper efficiency off of the ground. Hill repeats strengthen and stretch the calf muscles, while developing the hamstrings, quadriceps, and gluteus muscles. The cardiovascular system also works much harder as the athlete climbs up the hill. Hills can be looked at as an overload concept that helps the athlete run much faster on level ground. Intervals on the track allow the athlete to run at race pace or faster in an attempt to improve cardiovascular strength, endurance, speed, and lactate tolerance. The harder an athlete is pushed on the track, the more the body will adapt to meet the increasing demand. The trick to training distance runners is to know when the athlete is being pushed too hard for too long before fatigue, injury, and burnout diminish results.

Continue Learning about Running

Go Fast, See Better
Go Fast, See Better
You could turn that daily walk into eye protection just by adding a few minutes of jogging each day. Research shows that a little vigorous exercise c...
What can a distance runner do outside the weight room to increase fitness?
Margaret Scherrer Margaret Scherrer
As a former distance runner myself, I can tell you there is plenty to do outside the weight room to ...
What should I eat after running a race?
Post-workout meals are important. The most beneficial types of foods to eat after running a race are...
What Is the Most Common Injury in Runners?