When should a rugby player begin an SAQ program in the off-season?

Speed, agility, and quickness (SAQ) training should be a part of an off-season program right from the start. A lot of players delay this type of training until right before the season starts.  It is important to include SAQ training in the first workout. The early part of any SAQ program should be geared toward technique and posture training. Keep the drills simple and emphasize quality over quantity. Begin to work on your deceleration early in the program before moving to change of direction drills.Once you can properly decelerate yourself, move onto changing directions quickly and explosively. From there, advance the program to reactive change of direction drills as well as reacting to other athletes. By delaying your SAQ training you are not taking full advantage of your off-season program.

Continue Learning about Rugby

How should I warm-up for a rugby game?
Warming-up before a game should only be slightly modified compared to daily rugby practice and train...
Will lifting weights make me big and slow, hurting my speed for rugby?
It really depends on you program. Lifting weights, or resistance training, will help you build stren...
I have rugby practice six times per week, what should I do on my off day?
Physically and mentally take advantage of your day off.  Your body needs this time to recharge a...
How do I improve my ability to produce power quickly for rugby?
Generating power very quickly is extremely important for reactive sports like rugby. A great exercis...