What is a good multi-directional agility drill for rugby athletes?

As a rugby player you have to be able to react and move quickly in all directions. A great drill that involves both reaction time and quick movement is the clock drill. For this drill, create a circle on the field with cones. Stand in the middle of the circle in an athletic stance. Picture the circle as a clock face with numbers on it. Recruit a partner to yell out numbers on the clock face while you move to the corresponding time as fast as you can. Once you’re there, change directions and get back to the middle of the circle. Repeat the sequence immediately. Do this drill for 10 – 30 seconds. This drill will get you sprinting, moving sideways, at angles, and rotating which is perfect for a rugby athlete.

Continue Learning about Rugby

How can I improve my acceleration for rugby?
As a rugby athlete, the ability to accelerate quickly can create scoring opportunities. A great ...
I have rugby practice six times per week, what should I do on my off day?
Physically and mentally take advantage of your day off.  Your body needs this time to recharge a...
Should rugby athletes lift weights during the season?
When any sport is in-season it is important for the participating athletes to have a performance...
Why is performance training important for rugby athletes?
Rugby is one of the fastest growing sports in the United States and many more athletes are getting i...