Will lifting weights make me big and slow, hurting my speed for rugby?

It really depends on you program. Lifting weights, or resistance training, will help you build strength and can lead to increased muscle size. As muscle size increases, weight gain can be a by-product. The heavier you become, slower you might become due to the increase mass you are carrying. However, that is not to say you can't be fast if you gain muscle. As long as you are incorporating a well-designed speed program along with your lifting program, you can still maintain or gain speed while increasing muscle mass. You get what you train for as your body can only adapt to the demands that are placed upon it. If you only train to gain muscle, but not speed, you'll gain muscle, but not become fatser. If you only train for speed, but not for muscle gain, you'll be faster but not bigger. If you want both, you'll need to train for both.

Continue Learning about Rugby

How do I strengthen my ankles for rugby?
Strong and stable ankles aid in avoiding a severe sprain during the rugby season. One easy way t...
What is the best way to test a rugby team's endurance?
Rugby is a game of speed endurance, so when assessing a team’s endurance, focus on testing speed end...
How do I improve my lateral quickness for rugby?
Using a speed ladder for various drills is a great way to improve lateral quickness for rugby. A...
Should rugby players do a high number of repetitions with light weight?
When participating in a performance training program the variables such as weight, sets, repetit...