Will lifting weights make me big and slow, hurting my speed for rugby?

It really depends on you program. Lifting weights, or resistance training, will help you build strength and can lead to increased muscle size. As muscle size increases, weight gain can be a by-product. The heavier you become, slower you might become due to the increase mass you are carrying. However, that is not to say you can't be fast if you gain muscle. As long as you are incorporating a well-designed speed program along with your lifting program, you can still maintain or gain speed while increasing muscle mass. You get what you train for as your body can only adapt to the demands that are placed upon it. If you only train to gain muscle, but not speed, you'll gain muscle, but not become fatser. If you only train for speed, but not for muscle gain, you'll be faster but not bigger. If you want both, you'll need to train for both.

Continue Learning about Rugby

How much should I train during the rugby pre-season?
When you enter the rugby pre-season, your training focus will change. Practice is typically very int...
How can I improve my acceleration for rugby?
As a rugby athlete, the ability to accelerate quickly can create scoring opportunities. A great ...
How do I make my first step more explosive for rugby?
A great plyometric exercise for developing the power of your first step is the box depth jump to...
Should off-season training be different if playing rugby and another sport?
Jara Soost , NASM Elite TrainerJara Soost , NASM Elite Trainer
Off season training is generally a moderate workout, working up to tough pre-season workouts.  When ...