What type of conditioning should rugby athletes do to get in shape?

When conditioning for the sport of rugby, try to mimic the physical demands of a rugby game into your conditioning program. The game is multi-directional with multiple changes of direction, and heavy emphasis on reacting to an opponent. You need to be able to perform a burst of speed multiple times during a game and recover quickly between those bursts. In your performance program, the conditioning plan should consist of similar components. Be creative with your conditioning by combining multiple drills together. For example, first perform a T-drill. Set up for this drill by placing cones three cones 5-yards apart. Then, set up a forth cone in position 10-yards in front of the middle cone. From that cone, sprint to the middle cone, side shuffle to the cone on the left, carioca to the cone on the far right, side shuffle back to the middle cone, then back peddle to the starting cone. After that is done, immediately run 20 yards, followed by a mirror drill with a partner. This mirror drill is peformed by having your partner perform movements that he is aware of, but you are not, and you must mirror their movements. Perform this drill for 10 seconds. Keep the intensity high throughout this circuit and maintain the quality of your movements. At first, take a long rest of approximately 90-120 seconds before performing another set. Start by performing 4-5 sets. As your conditioning improves, reduce the rest time to 60 seconds, or even 30 seconds if you can and still maintain the quality of your movements. Remember to keep your form and technique sharp especially when changing directions. To keep it fun, be creative and create multiple circuits.

Continue Learning about Rugby

How do I improve my lateral quickness for rugby?
Using a speed ladder for various drills is a great way to improve lateral quickness for rugby. A...
What can I do in rugby training to help me recover faster between bursts?
To decrease your recovery time, you should add similar game demands into your conditioning training....
Why is performance training important for rugby athletes?
Rugby is one of the fastest growing sports in the United States and many more athletes are getting i...
Will a scrum cap prevent concussions in rugby?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The function of the scrum cap is to protect the face, scalp, and ears from cuts and bruises. It ...