Should off-season training be different if playing rugby and another sport?

Off season training is generally a moderate workout, working up to tough pre-season workouts.  When your sport is not competing, that is the best time to make strength gains, speed and agility gains and prepare your body for the demands of the upcoming sport.  However, many athletes are multi-sport athletes and have to balance tough workouts with a competitive season schedule.  While it is best to find time during the year to let your body rest, repair and regroup to help avoid overtraining and overuse, you will still be able to work out.  Find exercises that balance the demands of your current sport and let your body rest between workouts and competition days.

Yes, your off-season training should be altered to help meet your needs as a multi-sport athlete. First, be sure to inform the head rugby coach and strength and conditioning coaches about other sport commitments. They can help modify the program to fit your needs. Be mindful of your off-season training volume while involved in another sport. Your other sports teammates need you performing at your best, and your rugby teammates want you ready for next season. A general rule of thumb for high school athletes is to devote time to the current sport only. No training or off-season program can ever compare to playing in another competitive sport. Your other sport will keep you in shape and performing at high levels when rugby season resumes the following year.

Continue Learning about Rugby

How should I warm-up for a rugby game?
Warming-up before a game should only be slightly modified compared to daily rugby practice and train...
How do I improve my lateral quickness for rugby?
Using a speed ladder for various drills is a great way to improve lateral quickness for rugby. A...
What is a good multi-directional agility drill for rugby athletes?
As a rugby player you have to be able to react and move quickly in all directions. A great drill...
How do I strengthen my ankles for rugby?
Strong and stable ankles aid in avoiding a severe sprain during the rugby season. One easy way t...