Is there a conditioning drill that mimics changes in speed during rugby?

A simple and effective drill that can help you improve your game speed and intensity is the on-off drill. During this drill, you transition from a light jog to a full sprint and back to a jog, repeating this for a set distance. For example, using a 100-yard field you will jog for 40 yards, then sprint 10 yards, then jog 40 yards again, and finally sprint for 10 more yards. You will cover a total of 100 yards. Take a 10 - 20 second rest and repeat this pattern back to the other end of the field. You can vary this drill by changing the distances of each intensity level. For instance, jog for 20 yards, sprint 30 yards, jog 20 yards, and sprint for 30 yards. Follow the leader is another game within the drill that adds some variety. To do this, have one player match another's pace for the distance of the drill. Always time yourself when running so you can maintain consistent times throughout all repetitions of the drill.

Continue Learning about Rugby

Should I complete sprints or long distance runs to get ready for rugby?
Rugby is a multi-directional sport that requires athletes to accelerate, decelerate, and change dire...
Is Olympic lifting too risky for rugby players?
When including Olympic lifts into a rugby performance program make sure there are coaches or other p...
Should I run more or lift more during the rugby off-season?
As a rugby player, the majority of your off-season training should be directed toward strength d...
What can I do in rugby training to help me recover faster between bursts?
To decrease your recovery time, you should add similar game demands into your conditioning training....