Should I test general athleticism for the sport of rugby?

It is always great to test rugby athletes both in-season and off-season. Testing helps build confidence in a program and oneself.  It also provides an indication of the athlete's current fitness level and where there deficits may be which will help individualize a program to improve these deficits. Not only is an initial assessment important, a re-assessment is just as important to see if the program that the athlete is using is working and if changes need to be made. It also further boosts the athlete's confidence and excitiment when they see changes in their assessment values. So rather than just hoping for improvement, the coaching staff actually sees improvement.

Continue Learning about Rugby

Is strength or speed training more important for a rugby athlete?
When training for rugby, it is important to have a multi-faceted program that includes both strength...
What is a good multi-directional agility drill for rugby athletes?
As a rugby player you have to be able to react and move quickly in all directions. A great drill...
How do I make my first step more explosive for rugby?
A great plyometric exercise for developing the power of your first step is the box depth jump to...
How can I improve my cardio for rugby while also trying to add bulk?
The goal of rugby conditioning should be to keep it short and high-intensity. Your endurance wil...