Is cardio or strength training more important for rugby?

The demand of rugby is usually a steady-state for most players throughout the game, except some skill players who have more sprints at different intervals in the game.  The cardiovascular demands are high for long periods of time.  Using aerobic and anaerobic energy systems for strength and power in rugby is crucial.  Strength training is very important for both overall size and, more importantly, power (weight and speed).

Continue Learning about Rugby

Should all rugby players train the same way for cardio?
When designing energy-system based intervals, look at the demands of each player.  By looking at...
How can I train if I have a shoulder injury and cannot play rugby?
First, be sure to check in with your medical staff if you are performing additional work outside of ...
What can I do to prevent or alleviate shin splints during rugby?
The vast amount of running required for conditioning in rugby can lead to the development of shin sp...
I have rugby practice six times per week, what should I do on my off day?
Physically and mentally take advantage of your day off.  Your body needs this time to recharge a...