Is strength or speed training more important for a rugby athlete?

When training for rugby, it is important to have a multi-faceted program that includes both strength and speed training components. Performance training is meant to match the physical and technical components of a sport. Speed and strength are two valuable assets every rugby player needs to continue to progress in the sport. Neglecting one component can limit the development of the athlete and even have detrimental effects on overall performance. During the game of rugby, a player needs to quickly get up and down the field, swiftly change directions, and easily react to an opponent’s movements. A well-designed speed, agility, and quickness program will address these needs for a rugby player. A rugby player's strength also plays a crucial role in game-time performnace. Not only is it important in dominating the opponent, but also in injury prevention. By ignoring strength training, asserting dominance becomes difficult as the likelihood of injury rises. Be sure to include both speed and strength training elements into a rugby training program.

Continue Learning about Rugby

What type of conditioning should rugby athletes do to get in shape?
When conditioning for the sport of rugby, try to mimic the physical demands of a rugby game into you...
How can I improve my acceleration for rugby?
As a rugby athlete, the ability to accelerate quickly can create scoring opportunities. A great ...
Will lifting weights make me big and slow, hurting my speed for rugby?
It really depends on you program. Lifting weights, or resistance training, will help you build stren...
When do I start a conditioning program to prepare for rugby season?
Depending on where you live, rugby is either a spring or a fall sport. You should start a streng...