Is strength or speed training more important for a rugby athlete?

When training for rugby, it is important to have a multi-faceted program that includes both strength and speed training components. Performance training is meant to match the physical and technical components of a sport. Speed and strength are two valuable assets every rugby player needs to continue to progress in the sport. Neglecting one component can limit the development of the athlete and even have detrimental effects on overall performance. During the game of rugby, a player needs to quickly get up and down the field, swiftly change directions, and easily react to an opponent’s movements. A well-designed speed, agility, and quickness program will address these needs for a rugby player. A rugby player's strength also plays a crucial role in game-time performnace. Not only is it important in dominating the opponent, but also in injury prevention. By ignoring strength training, asserting dominance becomes difficult as the likelihood of injury rises. Be sure to include both speed and strength training elements into a rugby training program.

Continue Learning about Rugby

How can I improve my cardio for rugby while also trying to add bulk?
The goal of rugby conditioning should be to keep it short and high-intensity. Your endurance wil...
Is cross-training acceptable for a rugby athlete?
Getting involved in different sports and activities during the off-season is always a great meth...
What can I do in rugby training to help me recover faster between bursts?
To decrease your recovery time, you should add similar game demands into your conditioning training....
Should all rugby players train the same way for cardio?
When designing energy-system based intervals, look at the demands of each player.  By looking at...