How can I train if I have a shoulder injury and cannot play rugby?

First, be sure to check in with your medical staff if you are performing additional work outside of your rehabilitation program. Also, be sure to communicate to them your concern regarding your endurance during rehabilitation. Perhaps you can ride a stationary bike while your shoulder is healing. Be creative with your training routine when on the bike; perform intervals on the bike with various bursts of acceleration and rest periods. For instance, pedal at an easy, comfortable pace for 30 seconds. Then increase resistance and sprint for 10 seconds. Without resting, reduce the resistance and pedal at a comfortable pace again for 30 seconds. Repeat. Make sure you have clearance from your medical staff (athletic trainer, physical therapist, doctor) first. While you’re injured, don’t lose confidence in yourself. Stick to the rehabilitation program and you’ll be back on the field quickly.

Continue Learning about Rugby

What is a good multi-directional agility drill for rugby athletes?
As a rugby player you have to be able to react and move quickly in all directions. A great drill...
I have rugby practice six times per week, what should I do on my off day?
Physically and mentally take advantage of your day off.  Your body needs this time to recharge a...
How do I improve my lateral quickness for rugby?
Using a speed ladder for various drills is a great way to improve lateral quickness for rugby. A...
Are there any good ways to loosen up my calves for rugby?
Foam roll and stretch to help loosen up your calves and help them recover in between rugby pract...